Robert J. Kinsey Youth Center
EMERGENCY SHELTER CARE UNIT
701 S. Berkley Rd.
Kokomo, IN 46901
The ESC accepts non-violent youth that are able to function in a co-ed, group setting. These youth may be alleged offenders or Children In Need of Services (CHINS). Out–of- County residents are accepted as space permits.
Shelter Care is a twenty-five bed, non-secure, co-educational unit licensed by the Indiana Department of Child Services. This highly structured environment is staff secure and provides residents with direct supervision on a 24/7 basis.
For admission to the Emergency Shelter Care Unit, ESC, the following criteria should be met:
- ESC accepts admissions 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
- Admissions paperwork must be completed by the placing agent. The Admissions packet can be located on the Howard County website howardcountyin.gov or by contacting the Robert J. Kinsey Youth Center at 765-457-1408.
- Juveniles must be between the ages of 7-18.
- Residents must be able to function in a co-ed setting.
- Residents are required to attend school either at their home school if a Howard County resident or on grounds for out-of-county residents.
- Medications must be in the original bottle with current prescription orders at the time of admission.
- Medical insurance information must be supplied at time of admission.
- The 20 day residency limit is strictly adhered to per DCS policy. There is a status consult with the placing agency at day 15 to see if they would like ESC to request a waiver of the 20 day limit. Waivers will be filed on a case-by-case basis.
- Juveniles who have an IQ of 70 or lower, have serious acute and/or chronic medical needs, or who are exceptionally aggressive will be accepted on a case by case basis, after review and assessment by internal treatment providers.
- We are not able to care for children who have celiac disease, cystic fibrosis, a shunt, or who have had an organ transplant.
Download Emergency Shelter Care Admissions Packet
- We will not accept care for children who are actively suicidal.